Littleton fire that displaced seniors deemed accidental

Blaze started near dishwasher, city says

Staff report
Posted 6/16/16

An April fire that led to the displacement of more than 130 seniors at a Littleton apartment building was accidental, Littleton Fire Rescue has determined.

The fire started in the area of the dishwasher in the kitchen of a fourth-floor unit of …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Username
Password
Log in

Don't have an ID?


Print subscribers

If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.

Non-subscribers

Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.

If you made a voluntary contribution in 2021-2022, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access includes access to all websites and online content.


Our print publications are advertiser supported. For those wishing to access our content online, we have implemented a small charge so we may continue to provide our valued readers and community with unique, high quality local content. Thank you for supporting your local newspaper.

Littleton fire that displaced seniors deemed accidental

Blaze started near dishwasher, city says

Posted

An April fire that led to the displacement of more than 130 seniors at a Littleton apartment building was accidental, Littleton Fire Rescue has determined.

The fire started in the area of the dishwasher in the kitchen of a fourth-floor unit of Southview Place Towers, 5820 S. Windermere St., according to a June 17 news release by the City of Littleton. No serious injuries were reported as a result of the fire at the senior-living community.

More than a dozen seniors spent 10 nights in a Red Cross shelter in the wake of the April 6 fire. On April 19, the building's owner informed all 132 residents their leases had been terminated because the building would not be inhabitable for at least six months. Residents were able pack up and move out their belongings beginning on April 21 and continuing throughout the remainder of the month.

The property owners were required to obtain air-quality samples before beginning repairs. On April 21, a report stated the building passed the tests, according to the city's news release.

"After obtaining approval from the (Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment), the restoration company was able to begin remediation in the area of the source of the fire," the release states. "The remaining portions of the building were OK to occupy based on the report. However, it was the building owner’s decision whether to allow residents to re-occupy the building. The property owners are currently working on renovations and repairs to the building."

Southview Place Towers comprises two adjacent buildings that were built in the early 1970s, one on Windermere Street and one on Datura Street. The fire did not reach the Datura building.

In February, the buildings were purchased for $30.5 million by Tebo-Orvis LLC, according to Arapahoe County property records.

A fund was established through the Arapahoe County Foundation in an effort to assist those displaced by the fire. About $3,800 had been raised as of June 17. To contribute to the Southview Apartment Fire Victims Account, visit www.razoo.com/story/Southview-Towers-Apartment-Fire-Victims-Fund

Comments

Our Papers

Ad blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.