The fire at the Windermere apartment complex that displaced more than a hundred residents on Nov. 17 wasn't the first — a fire in April 2016 in the complex's other tower, facing Windermere Street, …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
Nov. 17: One dead, 13 injured, dozens displaced as fire forces evacuation of Littleton apartment building for seniorsr
Nov. 18: Windermere fire: 'I can't believe this is happening again'
Nov. 19: Windermere fire ruled accidental, residents still waiting for news
Nov. 20: Seniors likely won't be able to return to Windermere apartment building hit by fire until at least next week
Nov. 26: Fire in 2016 saw tower's residents evicted
Nov. 27: Heroes emerge from smoke
Nov. 27: Windermere residents, evacuated after fire, to spend another week waiting
Nov. 28: County officials preparing to help seniors displaced by fire
Nov. 30: Windermere fire victim drew complaints over smoking
Dec. 3: Residents of senior apartment building hit by fire in Littleton must find new homes
Dec. 8: Windermere fire evacuees face difficult future
Dec. 12: Evacuees prepare to move out of Windermere apartments in Littleton
Dec. 20: Windermere evacuees say goodbye to community
Jan. 17: Windermere probably won't face sprinkler requirement
Jan. 28: Some Windermere fire victims still searching for housing
The fire at the Windermere apartment complex that displaced more than a hundred residents on Nov. 17 wasn't the first — a fire in April 2016 in the complex's other tower, facing Windermere Street, bore many similarities.
An accidental fire, later determined to have started on or near a dishwasher, struck a fourth-floor apartment about 11:30 a.m. on April 6, 2016. At the time, the complex was named Southview Place Towers.
The fire spread to several neighboring units and took an hour to put out, according to Littleton Independent articles from the time. Four residents were treated for smoke inhalation.
Residents were unable to re-enter the building after the fire while Tebo-Orvis LLC, the building's owner, awaited the findings of air-quality tests.
More than a dozen seniors spent 10 days in a Red Cross shelter before being moved to temporary housing arranged by county officials and local charities.
On April 19, 2016, 13 days after the fire, the tower's more than 130 residents were told that management was evicting them all.
Much of the building was still habitable, according to a report prepared by an industrial hygienist and reviewed by the state health department, but the decision to evict residents was made by Tebo-Orvis, according to a city press release.
Residents were given a letter stating that the tower would be closed indefinitely for renovations.
“The fire damaged the mechanical elements of the building including the fire alarm and sprinkler systems,” the letter read in part. “Due to the extent of the damage to these systems, most of which were installed in 1972, the systems may need to be repaired and upgraded to meet today's safety standards.”
A city news release sent out on April 21, 2016 reiterated Tebo-Orvis.
“Certain parts of the building will need to be upgraded to comply with the International Building and Fire Codes,” said Littleton fire marshal Tim Stover in the release.
According to city documents obtained by the Independent, however, the tower never received a building-wide sprinkler system. Instead, two sprinkler heads in the basement were moved slightly, and a new sprinkler head was installed near elevator machinery.
City staff determined that the building's renovation wasn't significant enough to trigger the mandatory installation of building-wide sprinklers, which are required under modern fire code, and the building was allowed to stay grandfathered into 1970s-era code, Stover said last week.
The eastern tower that was the site of the Nov. 17 fire did not have sprinklers either, Stover said. He added that he did not observe any fire-code violations in the eastern tower during a walkthrough after the fire.
The Independent has requested fire inspection records for the eastern tower.
Tebo-Orvis bought the complex just months before the 2016 fire for $30.5 million, according to county records. Stephen Tebo, the company's principal, is a Boulder-based real estate magnate with a portfolio of more than 200 properties, according to his website. He is also famous for his collection of nearly 400 classic cars, including the Beatles' Rolls Royce and the hearse that carried President John F. Kennedy.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.