“Embrace-Encourage-Empower” is the subtitle for The Athena Project, a woman-centered Arts Festival, in its second year.
Occurring around Aurora, the festival involves women from across the metro area.
It includes a World Premiere play, …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2017-2018, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
It includes a World Premiere play, “Government Issued Long Johns” by Erin Wagoner,” the 2013 new play winner; four workshop presentations of new Plays-in-Progress; a Utopia/Dystopia Fashion Show; dance performances, music and a display of works by visual artists.
In addition, there is a “Girls Write PIP Series,” run in conjunction with Girls Inc., which teaches young women how to write a play. Performances will be at 10 a.m. March 30 at the Aurora Fox Mainstage. Tickets: $10/$5.
Events are all in Aurora within a few blocks of each other at the Aurora Fox Studio Theatre, 9900 E. Colfax; the Aurora Cultural Arts District Studio, 1400 Dallas Street and the Kim Robards Dance Studio, 9990 E. Colfax.
• Opening night receptions: 5 to 8 p.m. March 14 at the ACAD Studio and March 15 at Kim Robards Dance Studio. Musical guest SuCH performs at 6 p.m. March 14.
• “Government Issued Long Johns” takes a satiric look at what constitutes a good citizen as Jane raises questions about her society where sex is forbidden. Performances: 8 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays; 2 p.m. Sundays at the Aurora Fox Studio Theatre. Tickets $22/$20, 303-739-1970, www.athenaprojectfestival.org.
• Female choreographers will present original dance pieces from 11:30 to 12:30 a.m. March 22 and 29 at the ACAD Studio. Tickets: $12/$10.
• Four Plays in Progress will each have two workshop productions, where audience feedback is invited. All plays at the Aurora Fox Studio. Tickets: $12:
“Crazy Patterns” by Melissa Lucero McCarl, directed by Amanda Flageole, will play at 7 p.m. March 20 and 1 p.m. March 22.
“Harm's Way” by Marilyn Harris Kriegel, directed by Alicia Wheelock, plays at 4 p.m. March 22 and 7 p.m. March 23.
“Relative Communications” by Nicolette Vatjay, directed by Tracy Shaffer, plays at 7 p.m. March 27 and 1 p.m. March 29.
“Paradise” by Laura Marie Censabella, directed by Danielle Lombardo, plays at 4 p.m. March 29 and 7 p.m. March 30.
• Musical performances will run one hour before theater events at the ACAD Studio.
• Visual Arts are exhibited at the ACAD Studio during studio hours.
• The Utopia/Dystopia Fashion Show Fundraiser will be at 8 p.m. March 26 at the Aurora Fox Studio Theatre. Tickets: $25 and includes a gift bag for attendees.
• Dance performances at the Kim Robards Dance Studio will be from 4:30-5:30 p.m. March 23 and 30. Tickets $12/$10.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.